Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mistakes were made

Like our fabulous new president, I'm not afraid to admit when I don't do my homework and make an assumptions about those close to me. Like Obama, I can admit a mistake. In Obama's case, it was Tom Daschle. In my case, it was Lymphocytic Colitis (LC - damn it's hard to type Lymphocytic Colitis).

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had several auto-immune disorders, including LC. However, according to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA), LC is not an autoimmune disorder. Or at least it's not listed on their website as an autoimmune disease.

Not yet, anyway.

According to the Mayo Clinic, LC occurs frequently in folks who already have other autoimmune issues, including Rheumatoid Arthritis and Celiac Disease. LC is, for many people, a mild and treatable condition. But it also involves inflammation, which I'm learning is a hallmark of many autoimmune diseases. I suspect it will make the AARDA list soon.

BTW - I'm recently enamored of the AARDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment