Sunday, February 8, 2009

Salmonella and arthritis

Ok, ok, so I wasn't going to write on the weekends. But I want to make sure to write this one down before I forget it in the haze of my day.

I'm reading the Sunday Paper, and just came across an article on the national salmonella outbreak. Apparently, some victims have now developed arthritis from the salmonella. To quote:
Dr. W. Hayes Wilson, chief of rheumatology and Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, said some people born with the HLA-B27 antigen on their cells are predisposed to developing reactive arthritis after suffering from bacterial infections, including salmonellosis.

"Genetics are the loaded gun. Salmonella pulls the trigger" Wilson said.
I'm not quite sure what to make of this yet, but it seems like a relevant piece of the puzzle. I can only assume that either the salmonella continues to live in the body, causing the arthritis, OR more likely - the antigen triggers the autoimmune process.

No comments:

Post a Comment