Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Taking charge!

More Magazine had an article in this month's issue that did a good job of discussing something I really advocate for: being your own medical CIO (Chief Information Officer). Here's a link to the article online, and here's the tagline, which I think sums it up nicely:
Physicians, pharmacists and hospitals will come and go over your next 20 years, so only you can be trusted to act as your body's CEO.
Their advice runs from 1) pick a good medical partner and 2) learn to speak up, to 5) do web research - but carefully.

The article also recommends a book I'm gonna go check out - Patient, Heal Thyself: How the New Medicine Puts the Patient in Charge.

I spent most of my dermatologist appointment yesterday grilling my doctor (and her resident) about psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune diseases in general. She was great - she sat down and spent a lot of time just talking with me about what she thought the challenges are in diagnosing and treating these diseases. I was prepared and came with questions, and she took the time to answer them.

Advocate for yourselves, my friends! Attitude makes a huge difference in healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment