Thursday, October 2, 2008

The chair inventory

In my world, today is about pain. Every morning I wake up to a new day, a new set of symptoms. Some days I have a slight twinge in my knee when I hop in the shower, or notice a bit of stiffness as I scurry up the stairs to wake up the kids. That is a good day, a great day. I love the scurry. When I catch myself scurrying, I have my own little celebration.

Today is a bad day. I hurt EVERYWHERE. Ok, the tip of my nose does not hurt. But, both knees are burning, my R ankle is stiff, my back and hips ache, my shoulders hurt, and all the joints in my right arm and hand are in on the game. Just took some coedine - I'll talk about my new relationship with drugs later. I'm hopeful that in an hour the pain will be dulled a bit.

But, in an attempt to turn lemons into lemonade, I've decided to create a new pain measurement, called "the chair inventory".

The chair inventory is an inventory of pain levels when sitting in the chair. It's pretty easy. Here's how you do it. Sit in a chair - one that is comfortable, but I don't recommend squishy - squishy can bring out strange aches, surprisingly. Sit for a couple of minutes 'til you feel yourself settle. Then run through every joint in your body with your mind - search for pain when you are at this resting state.

Yesterday, I had soreness in my right knee. Done. A good day. I was scurrying.

Today, my chair inventory is: R ankle, both knees, both hips, spine, both shoulders, R elbow, R wrist. Knees are the worst.

I'm not sure yet what I'll be doin' with this pain inventory. I'm sure I'll find it useful some day.

more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment